Sunday, July 18, 2010

Guacamole - with Recipe!


I made this guacamole a couple of weekends ago when I was in a taco kind of mood. I loved the guacamole we had at El Charro Cafe in Tucson, and this recipe is my version of it.

Now I know that guacamole is one of the things that people get passionate and, frankly, a little nutty about. Messing with guacamole is like messing with people's grandmother's recipes. First of all, folks should lighten up. I am not submitting this as the definitive guacamole recipe, but instead as something you might like to try. Second of all, I mess with my own grandmother's recipes and you may feel free to mess with this one. I like the brightness of lemon juice with avocados, but lime juice is certainly more traditional. If you love cilantro, add more than my recipe calls for. Taste as you go and make it your own. It's what I did and the Army Dude and I loved the results.

Ingredients:

2 ripe avocados

1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tbsp. minced cilantro

salt and pepper to taste

1 oz. goat cheese, crumbled

1 medium tomato, chopped

Method:

Remove avocado flesh from the skin and place in a bowl. Mash with a fork. Add lemon juice, and continue to mash until you get the consistency you want. Add garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper, and mix well. Give it a taste, and adjust seasonings as needed. Fold in tomato and goat cheese. Taste again, and make any adjustments. Once you love it, serve.

Note: If you are making the guacamole ahead or you have leftovers, scoop it into a plastic container, press a piece of plastic wrap flat onto the top of the dip to prevent discoloring, and then close the lid on the container.

No comments:

Post a Comment