Monday, July 12, 2010

A Summertime Favorite

Army Dude and I went to the Wickford Art Festival yesterday. We saw a lot of really cool art, but I didn't buy much. I didn't want to blow my whole art budget only to discover a treasure like a sofa-sized dogs playing poker painting on velvet later on.

We had a hot tip from our friend Joe that the place to go for strawberry shortcake was the First Baptist Church on Main Street. We weren't really sure where it was, but when we heard a man announcing "Chowder! Clam Cakes! Strawberry Shortcake!" we snapped to attention like a pair of war horses hearing a bugle. We wasted no time procuring two strawberry shortcakes.

The ladies of the First Baptist Church know their stuff. The fresh strawberries had been lightly poached in a simple syrup, and a generous portion was poured over a homemade baking powder biscuit. The whipped cream was beaten until it was about a minute away from becoming butter and piled high. I took one bite and exclaimed "Oh my God." The church ladies didn't seem to mind. I think they're used to that reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment