Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Cookies (With Bonus Recipe)!

I woke up yesterday to dire predictions on television of the "snowstorm of the decade" and "like the Millenium Bug but, you know, actually something to worry about," and I decided to move cookie making day to Saturday instead of Sunday. I spent the morning literally running around my aparment and up and down stairs (and I don't use the word literally the way other people use it when they mean figuratively, I mean real, actual sprinting to and fro and breaking a sweat), but by the time my nieces and nephew arrived at 1 p.m. I was ready, the oven was fired up, and baking was already in progress.

We baked dozens of cookies, we had pizza, we ate cookie dough, we sampled the finished cookies, and we took breaks to dance to an "Ultimate 80s" CD. In short, a good time was had by all. I got in bed last night at 8:30, slept 11 hours, and woke up to 15 inches of snow.

The Peppermint Pinwheels are originally a Martha Stewart recipe that I've modified over the years because they never really turned out properly but they tasted good. I decided to try rolling them into pinwheels after I saw Paula Deen making something similar, and Starbucks' Peppermint Crunch Bar gave me the idea to top them with candy cane bits. Which is proof that I never let a good idea go unstolen.

The Red Velvet Cookies were really pretty, dead easy, and delicious, so I'm including the recipe. It's from Gooseberry Patch Christmas Cookies, and it was contributed by Kathy Barnes from Elizabethton, TN:

Red Velvet Christmas Cookies

18.5 oz. package red velvet cake mix
1/2 c. oil
2 Tbsp. water
2 eggs
12 oz. package white chocolate chips
Non-stick vegetable spray (for cookie sheets)

Combine all ingredients except the white chocolate chips; mix until everything is fully incorporated. Stir in the white chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets sprayed with non-stick vegetable spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool slightly on baking sheets, then remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes 3 dozen.

May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be white.

1 comment:

  1. Thumbs up on the Red Velvet cookies. Actually a double thumbs up. Transportation note: they tend to make all of the rest of the cookies in the bunch have a pinkish hue.

    ReplyDelete